Thursday, January 18, 2007

Why Blog Now?

Actually I am really too busy to blog. Too many responsibilities and people I am accountable for that take priority over blogging sweet nothing. A couple of days ago, my wife and son asked me why I haven't started my own blog. Probably they were tired of listening to my dinner sermons on national affairs.

Although I am (still) technically the techie at home, my family has left me behind in the application of technology in their lives. My wife has a blog, my son has a blog, my daughter prefers to doodle than to blog. I was the one who encouraged them to start their blogs and help them through the registration and setup process. So when they asked me why don't I have my own blog, I used the old excuse of "no time".

However I changed my mind today. Largely due to this piece of news and confirmed here. Two of my favorite bloggers getting sued for their work. I follow and read their blogs daily. I have not found anything worthy of a defamation suit. They tend to be guarded and circumspect in what they write. They make known their identity and take the trouble to moderate commentators. Their articles raise questions rather than posit accusations. On a few rare occassions, like when Rocky points out Kalimullah's editorial lie and calls him a liar, these are based on corroborated facts.

So now the rich and powerful men in control of a media organ cannot take the heat from "kecik-mayung" lone bloggers? The law suit is nothing but an attempt to intimidate other Malaysian bloggers to toe the line - LKY style (singapore influence so apparent!) - "you can talk but you got to be poor!".

Alamak! Mana boleh?!

Sorry sir, your wealth and might do not influence me. If you want to help your master, then show integrity, don't lie and dupe. Otherwise, expect your crooked deals to attract scrutiny. Until today, I have been a mere consumer of efforts by people like Jeff and Rocky. It is time to give back. I've now decided to join them as an independent blogger, sharing my own observations, highlighting what I consider wrong and praising what I find agreeable in my beloved country. This is my right you cannot take away and I refuse to relinquish.

This to me is a good enough reason to finally start my blog. Why blog now? Why not?

5 comments:

derek said...

friend,
your link to jeff is the trackback link
wont load le

manhon said...

thanks derek. rectified.

What A Lulu said...

oooooooo.... another fbc blogger!

Anonymous said...

aiks... Should open a family blog and blog together LOL~! Not really need to be poor here la... In Malaysia... "Once you talk, you're going poor!"

manhon said...

lulu, how many fbc bloggers are there todate?